Sunday 20 January 2013

"Allie's Mum's Dumplings"

What do you normally have with your gluten-free stews and casseroles? Do you have bread? Yorkshire puddings? Chips?! I used to love dumplings before I was gluten-free and I believed that you needed suet to make them. To my knowledge, you can't get gluten-free suet (though correct me if I'm wrong and then tell me where to purchase it!) so I figured I'd just have to let them go and keep them as a memory instead.

That is until I learned that you don't need suet at all, and I just so happen to have a recipe to make gorgeous dumplings, courtesy of this lovely lady who shares her mum's family recipe on her blog. They're easy to tweak so they're gluten-free!

Allie's Mum's Dumplings

  • 1 cup plain gluten-free flour
  • 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
  • 1/2tsp Xantham gum
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2tbsp vegetable oil
  • (optional) 1/2 tsp your choice of herbs - sage and thyme work well with chicken, for example

    Sift the flour, baking powder, xantham gum and herbs (if you're using them) into a bowl. Stir in the milk and oil until just mixed and sit spoonfuls of the dough on top of your stew. Cover and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
  • 4 comments:

    1. You can buy gf suet at wholefoods markets and planet organic... it is by community foods... hope that helps about the suet! It is a godsend! Great recipes!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Is that in the UK? I'm not sure we have those stores anywhere near Merseyside, if so!

      ReplyDelete
    3. A lot of vegetarian suet is coated in rice flour instead of wheat. You can get it in some UK supermarkets and most healthfood shops.

      ReplyDelete
    4. That's good to know, I shall investigate. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete