Wednesday 14 October 2015

Product Review: Schär comes to the UK!

If you have never heard of Schär, they are Europe's leading gluten free brand, recognisable by their bright yellow packaging and red logo. You may have seen their products when holidaying around Europe. I discovered Schär products back in 2011 during a trip to Paris and was such a fan that I've made it my duty to stock up whenever I've visited Europe since then. I recently learnt that the Dietary Specials brand (owned by Dr Schär) was rebranding to Schär and expanding their range, so I was delighted to receive a package from them, featuring some of their new products. Read on for my reviews!



Cream Crackers

I've tried many gluten free crackers over the years, and up until now, I wasn't particularly fussed on any. Schär's crackers are amazing, however! Even my cream-cracker-loving, non-coeliac fiancé gave them the thumbs up too, and he scoffs Jacob's crackers all the time. Unlike other crackers I've tried, they come in individual packs, which means that they won't go stale if you don't eat them often, like me. To me, they taste just as I remember cream crackers tasting, but they don't leave any cloying after-taste. They're light and flaky and are perfect with a cheeseboard. I'm looking forward to tucking into these with some festive cheese around Christmas! 

Verdict: 9/10 - best gluten free crackers I've ever tasted!



Wholesome Seeded Loaf

Being honest, this was my least favourite of the products I was sent to try. I'm on a quest to find the perfect gluten free bread, and unfortunately I'm still on that quest. The texture of this bread is lovely and soft, and it smells really nice, but the slices are just too small for a decent sandwich. I've yet to try it buttered when untoasted, so I couldn't say how well the structure holds together. Having said that, it does make really nice toast! I've been eating it for breakfast, topped with marmalade and have been enjoying it, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again because of the size of the slices. I want a sandwich bigger than the palm of my hand, Schär! The packaging also lets this loaf down because unlike most loaves, it doesn't have a twist top/seal and I found it hard not to rip the whole bag open, meaning I had to put the rest of the slices in a ziplock bag to preserve the freshness.

Verdict: 5/10 - Potential there, but needs more work to compete with other leading GF brands.




Sweet Brioche Rolls

I remember trying these in Paris where they're called 'Bon Matin'. They were my go-to breakfast every day, straight out of the packet with a little bit of butter. I brought some home with me where I could warm them slightly to refresh them and wished I'd brought a whole suitcase of them back!

These rolls can be eaten straight from the packaging, with no refreshing, but I do prefer them after they've been slightly warmed in the microwave (or toaster!) for 15 seconds. The butter melts into them and makes them lovely and squishy. I do top mine with jam, but they are very sweet like this! The taste of the actual roll is a delicate, vanilla sweetness, but someone I spoke to the other day said they had them with soup! Whatever your personal taste, I guess!

Verdict: 8/10 - Makes a change to have a nice treat for breakfast now and then!


Mini Os
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Mini Os are a good alternative to Oreos (although a lot less rich). They come in a little packet and the biscuits themselves are small too, so be warned because they are very moreish and you can quickly get through most of a packet without realising! ...apparently, ahem.                                                                                                          Verdict: 8/10 - lovely little biscuits, careful how quickly they disappear though!





Custard Creams


Dietary Specials Custard Creams have been a staple in my cupboard for as long as I can remember, and I'm happy to say the Schär ones are no different (I'm not sure if they've changed the recipe!). I like these because they come in individual packets of two, so they're great for when you're out and about. If I know I'm going for a drink with a friend, I usually take a packet of these with me to enjoy with a coffee.

Verdict: 9/10 - Solid staple in a gluten free cupboard.




Chocolix


I'd seen these advertised when I heard about Schär's new range, and I've been looking forward to what people have described as a 'gluten free Twix.'  Chocolix is like a Twix in that it's a caramel-centred chocolate biscuit, but for me that's where the similarity ends. That's not a bad thing though, they're still really nice! I think they could do with a bit more caramel though, because they're quite hollow inside and it feels like they're lacking a bit as a result.

Verdict: 7/10 - Not a Twix, but still good in their own right.





Sadly, I couldn't try the Breakfast Bakes because I can't tolerate oats, but I'd love to know what they're like if you've tried them? I'm going to get my fiancé to give me his opinion, because he loves Belvita biscuits.

The Schär range is now widely available in supermarkets across the UK, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other new products they'll bring out. So far, so good! I'm off to enjoy some crackers!

No comments:

Post a Comment