Wednesday 13 March 2013

REVIEW: The No Gluten Baker

Run from their home in Southport, the No Gluten Baker is a family business created by husband and wife team, Richard and Di. They are a relative newcomer to the gluten free market, but they already have an impressive range of cakes, pasties, pies and other delights to choose from. I have met them a couple of times at the Wirral Farmer's Market and the Gluten Free Food Fair in Ellesmere Port and have sampled a few of their products. My personal favourite is their cheesebread. It's like nothing I've ever tasted before and it's delicious!


'Bread' is not really what I'd describe it as to be honest, it comes in a little cardboard loaf tray, but the texture is not really 'bread-like' and it contains no yeast. It's quite difficult to describe the texture, but it's more like a cross between a scone, a dumpling and a crumpet! Quite dense and so full of flavour from the locally sourced cheese that's packed into it.


As such, although the loaf is quite small, two or three slices would be enough for a filling snack. The bread can be frozen in case you can't get through the whole loaf, so I slice it beforehand and freeze it. That way, whenever I fancy some, I can put it straight under the grill from frozen!  You can eat it cold, but I would recommend toasting it and eating hot with a generous spread of butter.

This is definitely going to be a staple snack for me! You can order direct from the No Gluten Baker (check out their Facebook page, as yet they do not have a website) or you can see them at various markets around the North West. I am delighted to hear* that they will be a regular stallholder at the Wirral Farmer's Market until October as it is very close to where I live!




*I am also getting slightly concerned about the effect this is going to have on my waistline..




2 comments:

  1. They also do chocolate cake and vanilla cake for diabetics - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their coffee walnut cake is divine and I love their Bakewell slices

    ReplyDelete