Friday 12 October 2012

Alcoholic Beverages

Picture the scene. You're a recently diagnosed Coeliac. You're going on a night out to celebrate the fact that you will never be able to eat a Greggs Sausage Roll again. You get to the bar and realise you have no idea what you can drink. Allow me to help!

The main alcoholic drink off limits to us is beer. This was no big deal to me, as I can't stand the stuff! However, if my boyfriend was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease, I have no idea how he would ever cope, so I can understand that to some people this would be hell. Fret not though, as you CAN buy gluten free beer in supermarkets now, so you don't have to go without completely. Estrella Damm Daura is one that I've seen, but I haven't tasted it myself. You can even purchase some gluten free beer in La Tasca tapas restaurants. Perhaps they even sell it in some pubs?

Anyway, that's enough about beer. Whiskey (Bourbon, Scotch etc), Guinness, bitter and other ales are all off-limits too. Basically anything that's made from barley, wheat or rye grains.

Safe drinks include but are not limited to:

  • Wine
  • Port
  • Sherry
  • Liqueurs
  • Cider
  • Brandy
  • Champagne
  • Spirits such as Vodka, Gin and Rum

Be careful with spirits though. There are certain drinks, which are made from grains and even some wine contains gluten (though it is very rare and is usually cheap wine). Distilled spirits are apparently okay for us as they are so highly processed, all traces of gluten are removed. I have not tested this theory myself though, and I am still trying to find out if particular drinks are actually fine for us. Baileys and Southern Comfort in particular.

My usual drinks are wine, cider or Disaronno and I know that they are gluten free so that's good enough for me!

Your best friend here is the internet. I have been known to trawl various forums and websites on my phone while I'm sat in a pub trying to decide what to drink, but it's not ideal. Try getting in touch with the manufacturers of the drink you want information about.

There are plenty of options out there for us, just don't drink so much you forget you're a coeliac and order a pizza or kebab on the way home!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mel
    Whiskey, Bourbon and Southern Comfort are okay; they are distilled. I've carried on drinking them after diagnosis and I'm fine!

    I wasn't sure about Baileys so looked on their website. It states...

    Please be advised that the whiskey used in Baileys is manufactured by fermenting grain which contains Gluten. Due to the presence of gluten in the whiskey components before distillation we cannot absolutely guarantee that there are no effects to coeliacs. As we are not qualified to give medical advice persons requiring a gluten free diet should consult their medical adviser before consuming Baileys.

    This sounds like a disclaimer to me, and if Whiskey is the only iffy ingredient, then it should be ok.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Amanda. I had read that distilled spirits made using wheat/barley/rye were okay, but I still feel nervous about trying them! I think that I always will, unless the manufacturer explicitly states they are gluten-free, ha :)

      Delete
  2. Nice blog post. on my blog I've put together a list of the Gluten Free beers, ales and lagers that I've found since being a Coeliac. There are a few of them about.

    Estrella Damm Daura is one of my favourites.

    http://hamandeggerfiles.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/gluten-free-beers-and-lagers.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Richard!

    Thank you for that. I'm not personally a fan of beers and lagers anyway, but it is definitely helpful to know!

    ReplyDelete