Thursday 11 October 2012

REVIEW: Pizza Hut

It's here! The Holy Grail to many coeliacs. With such mainstream restaurants as Zizzi and Bella Italia already long on board with gluten-free pizzas, we have all been waiting for the more well-known pizza joints to jump on board for years. We didn't think it was ever going to happen, and then in the space of a week we hear that Pizza Hut, Domino's and Prezzo are all joining in!

I went to my local Pizza Hut last night and am here to give you my opinion!

When we arrived at the restaurant, we were greeted and seated by the manager, so I was able to ask all my questions before we ordered. I asked how they were prepared, how they avoid cross-contamination, how it is cooked etc and placed my order. A short while later, out came my pizza:

Isn't it pretty? I was made up with it! It comes as a standard 9" square base, which I actually think is better than the round pizzas. No crust, but toppings right to the edge!

It tasted fantastic, possibly one of the best gluten-free pizzas I've had to date if I'm honest. I was expecting a thin, concrete base as I have been served in other restaurants, but it wasn't like that. You can still tell it's gluten-free, let's be realistic here. But it was light and not too cloying. The only downside for me is that there wasn't enough sauce on it, but I think that's just down to personal preference and it did not detract from the taste of the pizza.

HOWEVER. PLEASE BE WARNED! At the time the pizzas were launched, Pizza Hut claimed that all of their toppings were now gluten-free. This is not the case. If you look here and scroll down to the toppings section, Pepperoni and Ground Beef are highlighted as 'C' - "'C' means that this allergen is present in the manufacturing site/factory/supply chain & our suppliers believe there is a risk that this allergen could cross-contaminate the food."

It is entirely your choice as to whether you would risk having those toppings based on that information, I personally would not, but as pepperoni is probably one of the most popular pizza toppings, I think it's worth pointing out that risk.

You still get the free salad bowl with your meal at Pizza Hut, but again this is at your own risk as there is quite a high chance of cross-contamination at the salad station. About half of the products there are gluten-free, but there are also a few toppings, coleslaw, pasta, croutons etc to steer clear of and it would only take one tiny spillage to contaminate some of the 'safe' food. Personally, I did take the risk here after inspecting the area. The restaurant wasn't busy at all and everything looked fine. Had it been during a busy period I probably wouldn't have chanced it.

Take a look at the allergy menu above, there are a few other items on there that are safe for coeliacs such as the Nachos (but not the salsa - what's the point?) and the ice cream (but not the sauces!) and a few of the toppings.

Still, it's a great start to be able to have a Pizza Hut pizza, and hopefully they will expand their menu when they see how popular it is. It might also encourage even more mainstream restaurants to jump on board!

I had a great meal, and no nasty after effects either!

Roll on November so I can FINALLY order from Domino's, instead of looking longingly at my boyfriend's takeaway pizza while I tuck into a plate of salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment