Thursday 11 October 2012

Potato Cakes

Potato cakes remind me of being little. To me, they're a truly nostalgic comfort food and I used to love eating them with half a block of butter! To my knowledge, a gluten-free version you can buy off the shelf doesn't exist (though please feel free to correct me!) and the other week it was just what I fancied!

I decided to use a random recipe off the internet and tweak it so it was gluten-free.

Here is my recipe. Heart-shaped cutter is optional, but it's all I had. I think they'd look pretty nice just rolled out and hacked up into little 'rustic' pieces.

Gluten Free Potato Cakes

200g mashed potato
25g butter
1 large egg, beaten
100g Dove's Farm Rice Flour
1/2tsp xanthan gum
Pinch of salt & pepper to taste
Extra butter or oil spray for frying.

Yield: 10-12 small cakes.

Mix ingredients together in a large bowl to form a soft dough.
Roll out onto a flat surface to about 1/2cm thick.
Use a cookie cutter to make small cakes, or slice into squares if you don't have one.
Heat oil spray or butter in a frying pan and use to cook a few cakes at a time. Cook on a medium heat for a few minutes each side until a golden brown colour. Spray oil on top side before turning over.
Leave to cool on kitchen paper and store in an airtight container for a couple of days.
Can be toasted, grilled or microwaved to reheat and topped with butter or cheese, or anything you like!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, these look lovely, I'll try them at the weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete